Advertise Your Business With Us At Cheap Price, Call Or WhatsApp +2349021020979

[-]
Tags
kalu june that uzor public holiday i first the was 12 declared governor

Hi Guest, kindly Login Or Register To Unlock More Advanced Features In Wapforum

I Was The First Governor That Declared June 12 Public Holiday - Uzor Kalu
(7.7k )
Former governor of Abia state, Orji Uzor Kalu, says the posthumous honour being conferred on Chief MKO Abiola has addressed the injustices associated with the annulment of June 12, 1993 presidential election

- He says the recognition of June 12 has proved wrong those doubting the commitment of President Buhari to democracy

- Chief Ayo Adebanjo describes the honour on MKO Abiola as a political gimmick

Former governor of Abia state, Orji Uzor Kalu, has said ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo once challenged him when he declared June 12 public holiday.

Kalu told reporters on Monday, June 11, that he was the first governor in the country that declared June 12 a public holiday, Daily Trust reports.

He said the posthumous honour being conferred on Chief MKO Abiola as the winner of the freest and fairest election in the country by President Muhammadu Buhari has addressed the injustices associated with the annulment of June 12, 1993 presidential election, Daily Trust reports.

READ ALSO: Just in: FG declares public holidays as Nigerians get set for Eid-El Fitr

The former governor stated that Buhari has proved that he is a democrat people can trust by decorating the late Abiola with the highest honours in the land.

Kalu said the recognition of June 12 has proved wrong those doubting the commitment of Buhari to democracy.

He said the current administration did what past presidents failed to do by putting Abiola on the map of the world.

He however urged Buhari to also honour the chairman of the then National Electoral Commission (NEC), Humphrey Nwosu, who superintended over the June 12, 1993 presidential election.

He urged the President Buhari to address injustices people of the southeast experienced during the Biafran Civil War by declaring the region a special area.

"I was the first governor that declared June 12 public holiday and Obasanjo wrote me a letter to challenge it,” Kalu said.

"Now that Buhari is working, he should also remember Humphrey Nwosu, the man that conducted the freest and fairest election in Nigeria. He should also be honoured.

Buhari should go a step further and declare the south east a social area because people in the region were given ill treatment. They lost mines and property. He has already made a good step by paying the Biafran police their entitlements."

Meanwhile, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, an elder statesman and chieftain of Afenifere, a Yoruba socio-cultural group, has reacted to President Muhammadu Buhari’s recent declaration honouring MKO Abiola and moving Democracy Day to June 12.

In an interview with Punch, Adebanjo described the move as a political gimmick ahead of the 2019 presidential election.

NAIJ.com notes that he insisted that even though some people in the south-west have been praising the move, it would not swing votes in the president’s favour.

Abiola is the messiah of Nigeria's democracy; i foresaw the annulment .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
@flexible

congratulations

I use to look up to this man as my role model until he failed PPA.

Since then all his words are full of cowardice

good

ihostright

Share This Post To The World